October 25, 2015

Saint Hadelin, Celles

"After the departure of the monks in 1888, the hill towering above the church was occupied by hermits, whose task was protecting the different places where St-Hadelin used to live. 
At the end of the 18th century, the Counts de Liedekerke-Beaufort did built a convent in order to accomodate a community of nuns that ceased to exist in 1973. The building was bought by the town, and now serves as a primary school. 
The chapel and basements have been converted into a tourist reception center".
http://tourismehouyet.be/eng/cultural-heritage/celles-one-of-the-most-beautiful-villages-of-wallonia.html

5 comments:

  1. Always nice a church on a hill.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  2. geweldig mooi en fijn dat ze het een goede bestemming hebben weten te geven.

    ReplyDelete