May 01, 2017

The first day of May, revisited

I am kind of sorry to have to revise my original May 1 post because the photo (in its original version), in my option at least, clearly illustrated the May 1 spirit of sending out good luck wishes.
Sunday night I received a request from the person photographed to remove the picture. I promptly obliged, of course.
I did however not receive an answer to my permission request to publish this cropped version.  Let's see what happens .. according to the good old quote "Silence is Acquiescence".. no reaction equals approval.
Does this happen to you fellow bloggers?
original text:
This happy lady on a Brussels' tram last night seeemed to be in the right mood for the long May 1 weekend.
On the first day of May, a holiday (Labor Day), the tradition is  to give a bouquet of  a few Lily of the Valley  (" muguet" in French -  "meiklokje" in Dutch) to mark spring and to wish good luck to your loved ones, family and friends.  
Today, the flowers are everywhere; street vendors offer them at a not so interesting price.. only today, idem in flower shops. They are on tables in restaurants and street cafés,  in peoples hands, hats or hair or in men's lapels. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't received or delivered a May Day basket in years, a lovely tradition that has died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? Was this also a custom in the US?

      Delete