March 22, 2011

Biker and Belliard




The biker is taking a break to consult his i-phone in an important historic spot, on square baron Horta, at the feet of the imposing statue of General Belliard (1769-1832), the French ambassador at the time of Belgium's independence. He holds in his hand the deed by which the Allied powers guaranteed that independence. 
The general died from a stroke in the Royal Park in 1932 as he was leaving the King's Palace.
The statute is by the artist Guillaume Geefs. It is also the first monument established after independence. The story goes that the soldiers in the army gave up their pay for one day so the young state could pay for this monument. 

2 comments:

  1. It's a relief that I managed to come across blogger.com: it has the info I was definitely searching for. It’s extremely beneficial and you’re obviously highly well-informed in this field. Thanks to your wealth of information, I've figured out a whole lot more about the subject and will be coming
    back for more.

    Here is my page - com/groups/the-key-reasons-why-nearly-everybody-is-talking-about-pure-Green-coffee-bean-extract/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb details in this article. I'm Tamara from Armscote, Great Britain and I am so glad to have seen this blog. By the way, I'd love to
    get in contact with you. Perhaps we could exchange emails?


    My blog post www.giantpanther.com

    ReplyDelete